Thursday, January 7, 2010

Wrong Introductions Are Embarrassing

I did a gig in Metro Lounge in Davao over the holidays. It was an unplanned but fun gig attended by my cousins since they were there for the Christmas season as well. 

I went on and played a few minutes and then the introduction was made and all of a sudden, the guy with the mic said something like, "all the way from Embassy Superclub in Manila!" You guys should've seen my face! Not because it's embarrassing to be affiliated with Embassy/Encore but I just didn't like the idea that someone there who's familiar with Embassy might think I'm trying to sell myself as an Embassy DJ or something, which I'm not. Name dropping that way isn't my style at all. 

I'm very conscious about that and yes it may just be some mistake by the announcer but the fact that it was announced really made me embarrassed about the whole thing. I wanted to hide under the DJ table.

I've worked so hard to get where I am now and it's not "me" to pretend just because I'm out of town and people won't find out. The world is so small and that's exactly why I felt bad about what happened. 

So to whoever reads this from Davao, who was there that night, I'm not from Embassy. It's great to say that I've played there a few times already but that's different from the understanding that I'm one of their residents or am endorsed by the club. Magagalit si Martin Pulgar hehe (Hi Marts).

Cy


2 comments:

Unknown said...

That is just so wrong. The guy didn't do his homework. And talk about proper introduction. He did it when you're already playing. Baaad!

Cyril said...

well in fairness to him, he was just asked to announce that very moment. It's just funny how it turned out...