Sunday, January 3, 2010

MMFF

Catching up on a day lacking a blog entry for the year hehe

I usually go out and watch as many movies as I can during the Metro Manila Film Festival. This year isn't any different. 

I was aiming initially to watch around 4-5 movies from the entries but so far, I only got around to watching 2. 

I'm no movie critic and I think I've mentioned that before since I like most movies but surprisingly, I didn't like Nobody But Juan at all. I had high hopes for it since it stars the king of comedy but even the king of comedy wasn't enough to make it worth the money. The movie didn't have any flow at all. It felt too choppy at times. There were some nice parts but not enough to carry the movie. At some point I actually felt all my relatives were bored by it. I don't even remember it anymore! It's sad since I'm a Dolphy fan and I used to watch his black and white movies when I was younger. Times have changed indeed...

I also saw Panday, which was at the other end of the spectrum. I liked it a lot. And for Philippine standards, the CG FX were good. Remember I said for Philippine standards :) Story had at least a proper flow. I remember even having those Panday tex cards when I was younger when it was still FPJ haha Anyway, the movie, as other people have also noticed had scenes which reminded them of famous epic movies like 300, Lord of The Rings, and others... Unfortunately, they didn't mean it positively. It was more like they copied some of the camera angles, scenes, etc... I don't know the proper term for it... cinematography I guess? Anyway, to be fair, it was still ok even if it may have had somehow copied some movies. The CG FX speaks for itself at least compared to those lousy green screen use of other movies I've watched over the years every xmas season. 

Tom I'll be heading out to watch at least 2 more and have myself entertained enough. All I want is to come out of the movie theater and say it was at least worth the time and money. Unfortunately, some of the Pinoy movies don't stand up to it yet. I'm not bashing Filipino movies coz if you even ask my friends, I actually support and go out and watch. I just hope we could improve more... 

and bring back the comedy movies of the 80s and 90s. I miss those pinoy comedies!

Cy


No comments: