Thursday, November 5, 2009

Some New Gear... and free software

I wish these were in my forever being renovated studio. (I really pray it gets finished soon).

Anyway, as promised, I shall not fill my blog with every story that happens to my life but also make it a resource for anyone into electronic music. I'll also post some thoughts after every write up I make 

And I'm off...

Yamaha just released their latest gadget, the Tenori-on Orange. This is an affordable version of the original. Slashing off 200 brit pounds (roughly), it aims to be more within reach for people who are very much into the music making concept behind the original. To cut costs of production, Yamaha removed the battery panel, the back part of the original which also lit up, as well as changed the material to plastic from the original magnesium. It's slated for release just in time for Christmas. 

- I've always wanted the original Tenori-on. It's just so expensive and with the way I make music, I know it's going to be more toy (to me) than actual tool. That's one reason I can hold off from getting it haha the main attraction for me is the lights and its potential for live use. Oh well...

Novation Launchpad's been around online creating its own buzz as the counterpart to Akai's APC. But this time, it has finally hit stores! The launchpad is built behind the workflow of the typical ableton user particularly those who work in session view or the "live" view. Like the APC, it has controls for mostly all of the parameters that are in front of you in your usual Ableton Live session. However, the big difference is with the APC having everything in front of you, the LP requires some page switching for certain parameters like Volume, panning, etc. Another big difference, which will definitely attract users is that the LP is half the price of the APC. The LP also is powered direct by USB unlike the APC which requires AC power. One nice thing about the LP is that it has more pads unlike the APC. It would be nice to pair the LP with the Remote SL. That would be a killer combination. One strength that I see that the LP has over the APC is the ability to control instrument racks off the bat. It's built into it. Whereas in the APC, you need to hack it with midi just for that functionality. Makes me want to get one...

- There's nothing huge for people to turn down the Launchpad. I honestly want one as well but that would be gear lust already. I'm happy with my APC but I can see the attraction in the price and the portability of the unit. For an easier workflow in Production, I can see the strength of the Launchpad. But for me, the APC wins more for the immediacy of the controls when I play out live. I really don't want to be bothered by page switching and such. But that's just me. 

For people who love freebies... here's something I got from some of my subscriptions...

A free Mellotron emulator. Windows only VST.


Enjoy!

Cy

No comments: