Thursday, November 19, 2009

I'm Again Reminded of Why I Switched To Reason

Having gotten Logic 8, i'm now into looking at the millions of AU effects and instruments and I'm suddenly reminded why I stuck with Reason. 

The overwhelming possibilities of what's out there to expand your sound sometimes gets in the way of creativity. I spent a reasonable amount of time researching on what new synths or effects are out there instead of making music. With Reason, you're locked with the onboard synths. Thus, making me focus more on the sound I'm making than the hype of music software.

We can't deny the fact that there are tons of more awesome synths out there and fx. I recently did research on Camel Audio's Alchemy and was blown away by the synthesis on it and how it can breathe life to any sample. But as I mentioned, with the additional features, it can sometimes draw one away from the focus needed in writing music. 

Let's see if I get tired of Reason... I doubt that. But this is not to say that it's better. Logic can bring a lot to the table especially during mixdown of your tracks. 

It really boils down to preference and workflow. I just see myself led astray by too many possibilities.

Cy


No comments: