Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Adding To My Knowledge...


Some people are surprised that I play the bass. They're surprised I even have one. Yes. I do play the bass and I have a different attraction to how it contributes to a tune.

When I was younger, like waaaaay younger, I never thought much about the bass guitar until I really played music...

As silverfilter, I've always noticed my attraction to the bass lines that I do. I even remember one of my friends saying I put too much or play too much bass licks for my own good when I'm doing house. But I guess that's just how I am. I love making bass lines. 

Fast forward....

I'll keep this short first since I have to hit the sack early today for a project tom.

I attended the bass clinic of Billy Sheehan and boy, was I in for a great surprise and experience! I think it's pretty obvious in the photos. I ended up with a photo with him, a signed bass guitar, and a pick that actually came from him. I even got called during his QnA so it was all gooooood! My whole experience will be reserved for a blog within the week but for now, I'll focus on the title. 

I went to the clinic despite having no car to bring coz of coding because I wanted to learn more. I told my friend that it was just perfect timing coz I've been wanting to buy a new bass. Lo and behold I didn't expect to be attending a Sheehan clinic, right?

I just want to say, I learned a lot not just about playing bass but even in becoming a better musician as a whole. His advice was practical and sound. It was really something to listen to someone who's been there and who's done things I can only dream of 'til now. 

And same as his advice, I pass this on to you. Add to your knowledge. Try to expand your understanding on things so you know how it works. It doesn't necessarily mean that you have to "be one" or "do it" just to have a reason to learn it. Just like his example on a bass player learning the basics of drums or even the understanding of beats on the drums just so he can communicate his idea clearly to the drummer. One thing I can share regarding this is how adding to my knowledge adds an understanding on a certain instrument or sound on how to correctly apply it in an arrangement and not just slap it in. I've heard non guitar player arrangers who simply use a guitar patch without even tryin to achieve that "played guitar" sound. That is my point. As a guitar player, there's an understanding on the nuances of the sounds, or how to properly "play" the guitar even if it's played thru the keyboard. I still sometimes commit this when tryin to do chords but knowing the correct way adds to the authenticity of your arrangement and the use of that particular instrument. I've a long way to go myself believe me. I often just throw in brass and some string combinations without understanding it's proper way of playing or the sound placements of each.

Just keep at it like the rest of the players...

Music is an endless journey. Walk tall and swing your hips.

Cy

No comments: