Saturday, November 7, 2009

A Productive Night Indeed... mixing and remixing!

I wonder if anybody ever reads my blog. I guess most bloggers think of the same thing. I hope there are but if there's only one reader who still learns something in the end, then I'm good with that...

Aaaanyway...

Spent my saturday at home. Whole day at  home. Focused on the last few songs for the album to be mixed and I'm happy to announce that I'm down to one last song for mixing. Woooohooo!!! After this, I'm off to the final stage. I've already finished the album cover the other week so that's done.  I'll post the album cover soon. Goin back, I finished mixing 3 songs. Not bad. I was able to throw in writing a whole remix in between. 

I'm going remix crazy (a bit) hoping to break out one way or another. I hope my remixes make it globally!!! I'm pretty excited actually. The remix I did tonight was tiring but rewarding. I thought I was done but the perfectionist in me won't allow that type of mix so I went back and redid the whole thing. It was a long process but when I finally got the sound I was looking for, it brought a smile to my face... So all in all I got to finish and mix 4 tunes including one remix not included in the album. It's all good!

Not much to report today but that. 

And to make your time worthwhile in reading this, here's a production tip...

During mixing, once you're done and you feel you're done and happy, STOP. That's my tip today... STOP.

We, myself included, often fall into the trap of ALWAYS tryin to improve a mix. As much as going for that perfect sound is admirable, it can also mean unreleased tunes. One day you might get tired coz you might feel that it still isn't sounding right (during your 6th mix!), that you totally abandon the track for another time and we all know that'll take a while. This is not just from me but even from professional sound engineers and producers. We will ALWAYS find something to tweak or improve and it will never end. If we do find ourselves happy with the mix early on, STOP. Move on. There are a lot of music to be written.

Till then...

God bless!

Cy


No comments: