Friday, August 26, 2011

Sharing Our Knowledge

As some of you may know, I recently started a 1 on 1 mentoring program for people who want to learn eletronic music production and honestly, at first, I was a bit hesitant. A lot of things were going inside my head and there was a struggle if I should push thru or not. I'm glad I did (with the encouragement of my wife.)

She told me that if I had something to share, then nothing should stop me from doing so. I also heard that before from some of my good friends who were teaching and it really is a rewarding feeling. Some may say, "well you're charging for it so it should be!" But truth be told, if you were just renting my studio for the time I spend teaching you, it's not even enough for the rent that I charge. I'm doing this for the love of imparting what I've learned over the years and to see people realize their music-making dream. Knowing that if I assisted in them reaching that goal, then it really is a reward for me.

I'm only in the 3rd session with some of the students but the smile on their faces after each session really makes it worthwhile for me. The fact that an hour or two before the session ends, they had this HUGE question mark in their faces and after the whole session, they have this confident look and a sparkle in their eye that they now understand what's in front of them and are excited to go home and try out everything they've learned. It makes me say to myself that it's good I pushed thru with this.

It's also nice that I'm teaching students in different levels where some started with zero knowledge, the other, a basic know-how of DJing and another in self study production. It helps me to adjust and it keeps things interesting. 

I'm also enjoying the whole process because it's great review for me because sometimes when you do something for so long, you try to do advanced things and you miss out on the basics so it's also helpful for me in some way. 

Look at what you can do and maybe you can find someone who wants to learn more about it and you can be that person he or she can learn from. Try it :)

Cy

Posted via email from silverfilter living

No comments: