Sunday, August 28, 2011

Reason Comeback

Reason-6
As I jumpstart my blog once again, I want to talk about my favorite piece of software: Propellerhead Reason! :) As it approaches v6 this September, a lot more can be expected seeing that Reason and Record will be combined into one product but the direction of this entry is just some more realizations on why I love the software.

As some of you know, i've been teaching some people interested electronic music production principles and ideas using Reason but one of my students initially wanted to use Ableton Live. as we went through the session, it's only then I realized how easy, convenient, and inspirational Reason works. What's more interesting is even my student realized this later on when I demoed Reason to him. He's been looking for software that can be instant in such a way that when insipiration starts, he can easily jump into music-making mode. Unfortunately, he couldn't find it exactly in Live. He saw how many clicks or drags it took to have what's readily available in Reason. 

This is not to diss Live since I also use it for my live performances. However, for production purposes, I just found Reason quicker to work with. Yes, there may be some limitations against Live, which feature-wise, can be a powerhouse in getting in depth in editing. But for instant inspiration and quickly putting down ideas, I just found Reason more spontaneous.

Now don't get me started with how people say Reason isn't enough or it's not "pro." With the upcoming update integrating audio into the whole picture, it's more than capable already. In fact, tons of people have released albums made in Reason alone. In my case, I have released more than 4 albums made solely in Reason and have made tunes for tons of clients over the years just inside Reason from record labels to corporate clients.

To close, this is also what I tell my students when they ask me why I use Reason in my teaching of music production... with the way Reason was designed and built, it was modeled after the typical hardware setup so basically, it's a visual representation of hardware units even when you do the cable routings and such. With that in mind, it allows my students to adjust easily when they're in front of real hardware because they already understand the basic principles behind how various modules, boxes, etc work :)

Cy

Posted via email from silverfilter living

No comments: