Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Ipad, Ipod, Midi, thoughts...

Anybody familiar with the ipod and ipad "enough" knows that it is waaay beyond how people see it. I know a lot of people who wouldn't want to get into it just because they see it as a toy. Some people just feel it's a very simplified notebook computer. To some extent, it is true but for us musicians, it is one of the greatest developments in music technology and things are just getting better. 

For this entry, I won't be talking about the thousands of apps out there for music but something more hardware related. 

If you own an ipad, you'd love this:

and if you own an ipad, you'll love this:

drooling yet?

Now before you check your wallet, let me wipe off your drooling and perhaps save you some money...

The moment I saw this, it was immediately on my wishlist. Thing is, I already have a couple of midi controllers in the studio. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have this but should I spend a decent amount of cash just to get something redundant for the studio just because it's for the ipad/ipod? Answer is NO. 

With the upcoming iOS update which will enable MIDI, these photos I posted may not be as desirable in the long run because you can still use what you have. With the camera connector, USB is the way to go. 

BUT if you don't have a controller yet, these are really nice pieces since your ipad/ipod can sit nicely on top of your controller and has a place for it. 

The Akai controller for the ipad reminds me of those old analog synths and if you run your iMS20 on it, I'm sure it'll look really sexy! With tons of music synth apps for the ipadm this controller sees a long future ahead of it!

Downside to the camera connector option I've read is that it only connects to ipad so us ipod users won't be able to enjoy midi via hardware via its connector so getting the 25 key controller would be a viable option. 

Cy

_________

 

Additional lightbulb moments....

suddenly, it seems I'd want this more if it would do this thing I was thinking of...

since the 49 key controller CAN act as a basic keyboard controller via USB to any software on your computer, I was thinking if it would also transmit midi from the Ipad app into the Akai and into our computer. That would be dope!!! That way, I can have a lemur type controller on my ipad while having the hardware keys! SICK!!!

Posted via email from silverfilter living

No comments: