Saturday, February 12, 2011

Guide To Sending Out To Record Labels

pic source http://www.flickr.com/photos/31070478@N04/3174521823/

After 10 years, I found my rhythm and sent my tunes to record labels. I decided I'd focus first on a particular style since I do a couple and just direct particular labels focused on just that. 

With that in mind, I got to it. Computer turned on with broadband, I sent away. The first day, I sent out to 30 labels. then I believe 4-5 days later, I added 20 more so all in all, I sent out to 50 labels. Now I don't know the statistics but I am hoping that among all the 50, one would say yes and that's all I need really. 

I actually received some word already but i'll get to that later. I'll just share my experience first and how I sent mine to those of you hoping to send yours out too. I don't want to wait till I get signed before anyone else gets these reminders. Some might be pretty obvious but some are easy to forget so here I am...

1. Decide on a style - I'm not saying decide on a fixed one permanently. But for the purpose of submitting, it helps to be more focused. In my case, I decided I'll be sending out my breakbeat tunes. This helps me in narrowing down later on which labels to send out to. 

2. Make your best track - really obvious but sometimes neglected. Make sure you're 110% in love with your tune. If you feel you're not there yet, take the time to polish it. If it doesn't make you move, make another one. Remember, you get one shot at this... ok maybe 2. But the point is, you need to send out your very best since your purpose in the first place is to get signed! :)

3. Render and Label - After making your track, mixing and mastering, go and render it to wav or aif and onto mp3 320kbps for the best possible quality. Don't forget to fill up the id3 tags! Very important! Don't forget to ALWAYS include your artist name, contact details, website, other social networking accounts. 

4. MP3 or Soundcloud? - Now since we talked about labelling previously, it's understood that you already had it in mp3. Keep your mp3 file handy as some labels would want you to upload it direct on their site. But these days, most labels have soundcloud accounts that have dropboxes for demos.

5. Google Is Your Friend - Now google for the label names. Be specific then broad on your search queries. You can use "(style) labels" be creative and you'll get those names!

6. Email AND Soundcloud - Initially, I bombarded soundcloud accounts but I noticed that some labels even specify that if you're really serious about sending them demos, then email them directly because it's been so easy to submit over soundcloud that they get thousands of tunes a week. I'd suggest doing both submit by email and soundcloud. What I did was I just included a link to my soundcloud tunes for the ones I'm submitting. DON'T ever attach your mp3. Labels hate that. Just send them a link where they can stream your tune, thus, Soundcloud. The free account is more than enough for sending out demos. 

7. Wait - Don't bug them about your demo. Once it's sent then they got it for sure. Just be patient. It has its rewards :)

8. Additional Notes - I've read that if you get turned down, feel free to send them an email back perhaps asking if they can tap you for remixes instead in the future or perhaps ask if you can submit more tunes for consideration. 

I do hope these will help you when sending yours out. Good luck and always hope for the best!!!

Now before I end this, I shall tell you the replies I got...

So far I got two replies, which unfortunately says my tunes were great but not the sound they're after. I guess it's a milder way of saying 'no' but the other one was asking for other tracks so let's see. 

I may not have received the Yes I was hoping for but it's only been less than a week. I'm just glad 2 labels cared to listen to my submissions and respond to it since a lot of the labels wouldn't even take the time to do so. Not because they're snobs or cruel but just because they get probably thousands of demos in a month or maybe in a week that they can't respond to all of them. So take it easy, be patient, and enjoy the wait. Make more tunes while waiting or you can repeat the process for another style this time. It's really up to you. Just enjoy the ride!

Cy

Posted via email from silverfilter living

No comments: