Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Groovebox Much?

I got into playing live electronic music via the venerable "groovebox" and I must say It's been one of the best things that's happened to me. 

I started with a Roland MC307. I learned a lot (and played a lot) with it. Unfortunately, it doesn't see any action these days because of dirty contacts which akes the buttons hard to push. I need to get it fixed I guess unless I feel like I can open it up (gulp). 

Later on, I got my hands on a full set of Electribe MK1's. The ER, EA, the ES, and the EM1. Those rocked. It added a whole new sound for my setup with the Roland and struck a balance between the 2 brands since they have their own distinctive sound. Unfortunately, I had to let go of all of them. 

I then started dabbling in using software with hardware controllers but not too long after that, I got my hands on a pair of the newer Electribes: the ESX and the EMX. They were awesome machines but with the ease of software and the computer, I felt like I worked quicker on it and could get the sounds I want rather than with the electribes. Don't get me wrong, the tribes can deliever. You can even load your own sounds into the ESX. But with all the things I do, music is my job so I don't have the luxury to be loading stuff into the sampler from time to time so I had to let them go. 

Fast forward to today and I'm surprised at what's out there. hardware may have taken a step back but there's a lot to look forward to. 

These days, I use a modern day groovebox powered by the computer called the Maschine by Native Instruments. It's an awesome machine and it's really worth it if you're into the same thing. 

But beyond what I've tried out, I of course can't deny that there are a lot more I want to try. 

There's the latest Arturia Spark which is more drum machine centered and looks like one of those old roland grooveboxes in a way. I won't mention the features since there are a lot to be found by doing a google search but I just want to mention things that have grabbed my attention. 

Another one that I can only "dream of" is the latest called Rhizome from French company Feeltune. If this isn't enough to make you drool, I don't know what will hehe

It seems to be a computer slash groovebox. The unit itself IS the groovebox and the computer! It has some nice color displays, 102 controllers, has its onboard VSTs, and can even load up external VSTs!!! It looks sweet and with a price of 3000 Euros, it should be!

More at feeltune.com

For now, I'm happy with my current setup which I should just learn and dive into a bit more...

Cy

Posted via email from silverfilter living

No comments: