Wednesday, February 16, 2011

From Foreign Record Labels to My Record Label...

I woke up to bad news today unrelated to my music but it was one of the biggest blows I've had so far... so it's interesting to see how things get reversed in other ways.

As followers of my accounts either from Twitter or facebook, know that I've sent out my tunes to labels abroad. I also wrote a short tutorial a few days ago. You may want to check that out if you plan to send your music out.

Anyway, it's been more than a week since I've blasted out my tunes to rest of the world and I'm glad that I got some replies. I think it's been 4-5 so far from the 50 labels I sent out to. I'm just glad someone cared to listen, much more to write back even if it was a "not interested" reply. Nobody replied that don't worry. Don't be scared as well if you do send out your stuff. I think from the 4, I got 3 declines which was written differently like "it's not the sound we're after", "we're not signing anyone right now", and simply "thanks for sending your tunes!" It may be not as direct turning me down but they've been kind enough to also comment on how they enjoyed my tune/submission. Label owners who care to write back are good folks so I enjoyed reading their replies even if it wasn't positive.

One label however said yes and decided to sign one of the tracks I sent. It took me a day to think about it because I was weighing out if I should wait for the other lables to get back to me regarding their word on my submissions. I am happy to say I decided to say yes and began correspondence with them. 

This whole sending out music activity of mine led me to think about why not put up my own label. Don't get me wrong. It's not like I just thought of it now. Duh! I actually thought of it yeaaars back but never followed through. Years back, it was more costly and difficult so i guess it's also just timing. I figured, I've got tons of music resting in my computer and I think it's time they get released properly. So now I'm working on sorting out my releases as well as putting up the label. It's initially a dance label but I'm thinking of expanding later on. I'm currently in communication with the distirbutor which will make the tunes available worldwide as well as fixing the website for it. I just got the GO signal today from the distributor that I was eligible to become one of their labels. And of course, i'd be looking for artists to fill the roster eventually so let's see where this goes.

Now while reading the entry, didn't the mood shift as well from something negative to positive?

That was my day. 

Cy

Posted via email from silverfilter living