Sunday, August 29, 2010

How I Use Facebook

As I begin my new 100 blog topics project, this appeared in #1 and so here I am. 

I initially didn't sign up for FB. I was convinced later on. I figured I didn't need another social networking site... I didn't know it would be this big now. 

Anyway, for a time, I almost gave up on it. FB felt lifeless and everything came back to life once I was on twitter. But before I go into that, let's backtrack...

When I joined FB, one funny thing I didn't know was that red circle alerted me of updates. All the while I left it as it is and never checked it until a friend told me its use. Yes, it's funny. For some technology guy, I was kinda slow in that respect but hey! 

Fast forward to that time I felt it was lifeless... it was the usual social network site (this was yrs back remember). And life wasn't about the feeds or stat updates, right? and so I left it at that. At the same time, I didn't want to always be online just to be able to post an update. But when I joined Twitter, and was able to do mobile tweeting, everything changed. With mobile tweeting and the ability to link my twitter posts to be sent to FB, it brought new life to my FB account so to speak. At least I can share experiences quicker and as it happens. Not when I get home and think of updates to post... urgh.

Today, here's how FB works for me... (and I guess more people utilize more features than me).

I go online, and check my updates, friend invites, inbox msgs...

I also maintain a lovecore and silverfilter group page for each as well as fan pages for each as well. These centralizes communication for the people interested in the group and in the music that I/we do. This is how I send updates, and announcements. 

If you wanna join my page http://www.facebook.com/silverfilterofficial

I feel that I underutilize the events function because I hardly post events and make events announcements using it. I usually do it via the notes function and the feed. :(

The notes feature however, if people have noticed, is updated regularly. This is because all my blog entries to blogspot.com are automatically posted into my notes section.

Other than that, it's the usual and common uses for FB like reading the live feed, commenting, etc. I don't usually use the photos section as well since I've had bad experiences with uploading that I waited for so long only to get failed uploads so I just left it as it is. Some of the photos uploaded are from the autopost features from my blog, which includes the photos I uploaded to the blog and sorts them out into albums in the photos section in FB.

The one thing I hate with FB is the way they keep changing things with the layout. I welcome change but when something changes, some features or ways to do things can get winded. When you visit their help pages, it's not updated and you become lost to how to do simple things. Oh well...

How do you use yours?

Cy

Posted via email from silverfilter living

No comments: