Monday, June 7, 2010

Electronica Manila Night: Show and Tell - review

(reposted from Electronica Manila)

To those who didn't know, I was actually down with the fever that day. But it
being an EM night, and as one of the performers, I had to go and attend. GOOD
thing I forced myself to :)

I was moved and happily surprised with SEP's new sound. I'm glad he's finally
found his sound. You guys better check it out. It's awesome. More like a solo
electronic Sigur Ros. I really enjoyed his set.

For Firefly logic's set, well, setup pa lang patay na eh... 2 Nords, 1 Virus,
and an iPad. droolllll... But seriously, even if they just brought some
controllers and used a GM module, FL really can deliver. I mean, they were
freakin playing live as in live talaga hehe no loops except for their sequenced
drums, which found itself morphing as well. Really awesome set. They never cease
to amaze me.

Thanks to those who enjoyed and liked my set. I enjoyed it as well. I'm glad to
have inspired you guys and it was a great feeling to somehow empower whoever
tried to do their first live PA set that night so to speak. I liked the fact
that even one of the people in the resto tried it. They weren't EM but they
found it interesting. And of course, I have the bragging rights to have been
able to get Emorej to play live!!! yeeehaaaaa!!!! hehehe But seriously, that was
something else to see him live and fooling around.

To those who weren't there, I called my set "Play My Set." I setup my gear
facing the audience along with my computer. Then for the duration of my set,
anybody interested can come up and play with the APC40 in front of them
triggering loops, scanning over the loop set in Ableton Live and simply having a
blast. I was on the other end simply putting fx over whatever people decided to
play. So it turned out great with people tweaking knobs, triggering loops,
sliding faders, etc. It was very enjoyable even on my end just watching all the
people who tried.

I'm glad that the Electronica Manila nights are doing more than its purpose of
just exposing the music but triggering the interest and helping people interact
and try out the music for themselves. We've had a number of EM nights already so
I won't talk about attendance coz the people who attend experience firsthand
what others are missing out on.

See you in the next EM night, entitled "Jam!"

Cy

Posted via web from silverfilter living

No comments: