Friday, February 19, 2010

Writers Block...

There are tons of articles you can find online about it and how it can be broken or avoided. But for the sake of this entry, I'd like to put down some that works for me and how it does.

As some of you may know, I like writing music and words to music since I love writing songs. I also go to the geek side of not just arranging but mixing the music to the final output. In a way, it can be or IS overwhelming to be honest. But in its own way, I guess it works for me to break that writers block. 

Here's the usual scene.

I write some music and record a draft. Put other instruments along with it and see how it sounds. After that, I decide to write some lyrics... BAM! No inspiration or whatever... sometimes, I just put my focus on mixing the material to make it sound really good. Maybe making it sound really nice will inspire me enough. Sometimes, I can just go on and close the session and write new music for another song.

There are also days that I want to write music to even start with but nothing comes out. So during these times, I usually open up the old songs and just listen. Sometimes, I go back to other songs that don't have lyrics and maybe by this time, I have lyrics but no music for another song. Other times, I just go back and mix and mix and mix because when it comes to the mixing part, it's not completely about the "creative" process but more on the technical aspect of how it all gels and sounds with the frequencies and volume etc. This exercise does help and in a way balances out the sides of the brain used at certain points in the creating process.

If all else fails, I usually sleep or turn on the TV... most of the time. Down the line options are go outside, play with the dogs, watch a movie, or just go to my drum set and pound away. 

Just find that balance that can get you out of the creative process when you have nothing coming out and once you get back, you'll be in the zone... and most importantly (after of course praying for inspiration), be patient. It can take a day or two but it will come. Make sure you have something to document, record or help put ideas down if you're away of your workstation. I usually record melodies or lyric ideas on my crappy mobile phone recorder. It sounds horrible during playback but helps you remember that moment of inspiration!

Enjoy writing!

God bless

Cy


No comments: