Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Is Piracy Killing Music?


I'm not here to discuss the effects of file sharing to the record industry but I wanted to talk about the core of it all... the musicians.

I've always read the statement from musicians saying something like, "please support my album and buy it/don't support pirated music so we can continue making music for the fans." I'm sure this is a common thing and I'm also sure every person who reads this entry have once in their lives heard or read this. 

In a way, I definitely understand where that's coming from. But before, I also shared an idea quite different. I also considered the thinking, that true musicians WILL make music regardless if they were selling millions or nothing at all. I thought that passion came first rather than sales. I, of course, still believe that. But somehow, I also realized the facts surrounding the main statement I mentioned earlier. 

Maybe it's not about selling music so musicians can continue making music but being able to let music sustain us so we can allot more time to make music and focus our talents on it. 

Think about it, a lot of musicians have to get a main job, which may be quite far from music just to be able to live by the day. If they worked 8 hours a day plus preparations and stuff, they hardly have time to focus making music. I know A LOT of musicians who either gave up music or set music aside because they simply don't have time anymore.

It's actually sad. 

Now, if we look at not supporting piracy or simply supporting these very musicians, I do believe we can expect something greater and better from their output because they can dedicate more time to make music. I'm trying to say this from a bloggers standpoint but as all of you may know, I am also one of them. 

I guess in a way, I'm just thankful to God that He has sustained me over the years by living off of music even if it's not exactly my own. I do still pray that my music will one day be enough to make a living out of but until that day comes, I will press on and write more music for everyone.

Cy

photo from toobydoo

No comments: