Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Korg Monotribe

Korg_monotribe
I'm sure some of you may have read about this already or have heard about it. This blog really isn't THE blog to get the latest updates or "first" tips before anything hits the market so I won't even compete with everything available online. I'd rather focus on my thoughts about it rather than just post another feature on the thing... So here goes...

Well, I've been contemplating on getting the Monotron when it came out. What's a Monotron?

Korg_monotron

Here you go!

The monotron is an analog synthesizer that fits in the palm of your hand. It may appear like a toy but it's a very NICE toy. For decades now, "digital" technology swept through the market and synthesizers rode that wave. But a lot of people still swear by the analog sound... warm, fat, and sweet. And so Korg (kinda late in the game this time), took on an analog project and released the Monotron. It has a ribbon controller with a keyboard that enables you to play in your notes but but it requires precise movements. I wanted one but I didn't get one. Today, I'm glad I didn't....

And so in comes the Monotribe. A Korg Monotron that's beefed up to be part of the Electribe series from Korg.  What is an electribe? Let's just say it's a production worksation with sequencer and sounds plus effects. 

Now, the marriage of the monotron and the electribe does seem to be just right and exciting to say the least. As you can see in the photos, it's really a step up from the humble Monotron. It now has a drum part and more functionality on the sequencer and synth end. Really nice.

My concerns now is how much will it be? And since the Monotron had a problem with some hiss from its output originally, will this new version be free of that noise? I'm also seeing an 8 beat sequencer so is 16 hidden in there?

I'm really curious but I'm not totally turned off since it wasn't what I expected. Let's just say it only met half of it. But it's a nice piece of kit and I'm looking forward once the videos of it go viral. It seems like a nice addition to my collection. 

People say the Monotron's filter is worth the price so I'm guessing the Monotribe HOPEFULLY will not disappoint. Once I do get one, I might sample off noise off of it and I'm sure it'll be great for drops and builds :)

Cy

Posted via email from silverfilter living

No comments: