Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Beating Deadlines

[[posterous-content:pid___0]]

If you're like me at this point in time, I'm struggling to finish tons of projects before the month ends. With that, I have to organize and set which ones to prioritize to keep my head in check. 

Here's what I do and maybe it can also help you out to line up which is which...

Of course, I first sort it out by deadline. That's the number one rule. There's no use in being organized if you were skipping deadlines. 

The next one after you've sorted out which has the earliest deadline, is where you pick out which is the difficult ones to finish and the easy ones... group those together. 

Now this is where people may have varying approaches...

You may choose the easiest to finish just to get things out of the way and finish ahead of time and so that you can focus later on the harder things you have to accomplish. I sometimes take this route. At the moment, I am!

The other option is the reverse of it. Try to finish the difficult ones first so that it's also out of the way. This way, you're left with the easier ones, which you can finish in no time.

Of course there are a few tradeoffs but it's up to you how to manage them. If you do the easiest first, you'll have enough time to work on the difficult ones because you finished quickly AT FIRST... the problem is if you run out of time since you were working with the difficult ones right before the deadline. On the other hand, if you do the harder ones first, you might run out of time also or you might do something rushed if it eats up your time initially.

For this particular project I'm working on now, I did the easiest ones first so that I won't feel too tired or burned out working on something difficult. That way, I'll have enough inspiration for the difficult batch. But that's just me. Other people feel the reverse wherein they did the hard ones first so that their mind can breathe a bit after. 

Either way, it's helpful to take a step back and look at the big picture to prioritize and do what you can to maximize the most of your time and effort. It's hard to get inspiration for music projects as it is, so it's best to sort them out and choose accordingly!

Cy

Posted via email from silverfilter living

No comments: