Sunday, July 11, 2010

How Do You Support Your Team?

I was about to hit the sack when something unnecessary happened. I won't get into the details but it led me to this post. 

It's funny how you can tell a lot about a person when it comes to how they handle little things. In relation to this post, it's about how they support their team. Having just finished watching the World Cup finals, I've observed a lot of different ways people support their team. I won't go into the details of each but I'll just focus on one of them...

They support their team by bashing/trash-talking people who support them. 

Personally, that's not how I support mine. I enjoy cheering and shouting for my team regardless if we're on the losing end. You can ask my friends... there were only 5 of us NED fans where we watched. But I never tried to say anything against Spain or any other team who was against those that I was cheering for. I would even call fouls on my team if we really were the ones at fault. But it's funny how we can tell a lot about someone just by that simple fact: You feel superior because you put someone down. Wow... that's something. I just got thrown off by someone who chose to insult me after commenting how the finals became such a nice game because of the challenge Ned presented against Esp. Despite being a NED supporter, I knew ESP was the stronger team. I was actually surprised at how NED performed during the game. I never expected that they would give ESP even a challenge. My little prayer was just not to lose with so many points against them. But I was mighty proud at how long they lasted before losing against Spain.

And a little comment I had about how the finals became a really nice final game, because it was a fun game to watch with all the challenges, was returned with an insult. Really cheap. Really.

It's weird that of all people, I had to get it. I mean, whenever my team loses, I'm even one of the very first people to congratulate the supporters of the winning team. It's sports! Why should I insult supporters, right? I don't know. Maybe some people are just brought up that way. It's sad actually... 

I hope any of you guys reading this won't do the same thing. Cheer for your team all you want. Buy their jerseys or any merchandise! Pray for them (I actually prayed hard for Germany haha). But don't choose that road where you feel better by showing your team support by bashing/trash-talking the people NOT supporting them. It just reeks of "cheapness" really. And if you lose, you'll look MORE stupid especially to those people you insulted.

Cy

Posted via email from silverfilter living

No comments: