Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Football and My Journey...

It's been a while since my last entry and I was down with the fever... football fever that is. This caused me to be delayed on stuff I needed to upload and update. 

Anyway, it's a nice fever to have and being a football player (inactive), watching the WC has definitely awakened that part of me, which took up a huge part of my first 21 years in this world. Watching the games reminded me of all those days of training, games, sportsmanship, and all the great things that made me love being a football player. But I really didn't start as one...

Before I hit 10, I was always one of the boys playing basketball in the streets. I wanted to be part of the school varsity team but I was let down and rejected from tryouts and this really took my fire out for some reason. I searched for some other thing to do and one day, I chanced upon a flyer which had a football summer clinic schedule printed on it. I told my parents about it and that's where my journey with Football began. I was 10.

I ate and drank football. I was in training 4 times a week under the sun. When  I graduated college and stopped playing, people who knew me wondered what happened to my skin coz all those years in school I was hella dark! I remember MWFS training days under the blistering heat and I loved every second of it. 

I played all of the positions. This is not to say I'm good at all of it. It's just my journey over the years, which led me to play the different positions. I was still looking for the position God destined me for. But I lasted longest as striker and I loved that position. I once became a goalie when I was starting out as a 10 year old kid but I was baaaad! hehehe I especially loved being the sweeper and striker. Midfield is a great position to be in but it's VERY tiring hehe

Looking back, that fateful day of finding that piece of paper on the ground, which was considered trash already, was something that changed my life. 

I was part of the school team since I started playing until I graduated college. I enjoyed being part of the San Beda Alabang Football Team. We weren't good to be honest. But we definitely had passion and a love for the team that regardless of how bad we were, we always had fun.

I also played in college when I was in UP. Good times! I especially enjoyed those leagues I joined with the team and the Upsilon Cup games. Always looked forward to that every year haha

I guess the highlights of my football life was being part of the regional team in Palarong Pambansa representing NCR. That was one of my best experiences. I'm man enough to say I wasn't part of the main stars of the team coz at that level, the good ones really do stand out and I really looked up to my teammates. Just to be part of the team was a great privilege for me. Another important thing for me was being team captain in High School and College. That was a great honor indeed. 

Watching football games on TV is something that would really strike a chord in a player coz we've felt the emotions that come with a goal. We react that way because it's soooo hard to score one. I guess this is one major thing that has made all these memories come rushing back to me. To be honest, I miss playing. I miss the feeling of making a goal. I miss a lot of things about football.

It's nice how God lead me to being a football player. I didn't realize that I was created by Him to be one, instead of being a basketball player. Much like how I discovered music around 12 when all I wanted to do before that was draw and take up fine arts. 

I'm writing this because I would like to remember and reignite that passion I once had. Reminding myself how much I love the game and how much it was a part of my life before... I'll definitely get back to playing now. 

Time to burn my skin once again...

Cy

Posted via email from silverfilter living

2 comments:

Stela James said...

Nice match i seen it yesterday

home business

rexi said...

nice! alala ko nging teammates ata tayo sa p.e. haha.bulok ko ding goalie :)