Wednesday, March 17, 2010

I Wrote a School Hymn!

One of the dreams of a songwriter and musician is for people to sing your song or have your music be played to people to be enjoyed...

God blessed me with something a step further...

I wrote a school hymn from lyrics, music and overall production. Now my song will not just be played but sung by a lot of people... daily!

Before I continue I'd share the lyrics to get it out of the way hehe

Power of Faith Hymn


Here we come blue, red, black and white

We march in with the Light

of Wisdom, knowledge lifting our lives

Onto greater heights


We call you home. We find a family

Inside your walls, tomorrow's security

The future holds something brighter for me


Oh the Power of Faith carry me

As we pledge our loyalty

To the Father and to one another

We shall make history


Oh the Power of Faith carry me

and the whole world shall see

the life of God that lives inside of me

making each of us extraordinary 

More than we could be


Short Story behind it...


I was asked to do something non-traditional since most hymns are either played with a March feel or kinda slow. The owner of the school didn't want any of that. They wanted it to sound fresh and new, easy to sing, and fun. I'm happy to say I was able to meet their requirements hehe


So last Monday, I attended their annual Banquet as they launched the song. It was a fun experience because it was my first time to write something like that. I gave a short speech about how it happened and how I felt about the project. It was such a blessing. Even the parents and students liked how it turned out, which gave me a great boost! They introduced it by a presentation of singers singing it to launch it and they repeated the song right after as they invited the whole school population to stand and sing their new hymn. I was like a proud father to be honest. I had a big smile on my face when I stood up with them. 


God never ceases to amaze me at the opportunities He opens for me. I'm sure there's more to come this year!


Cy


No comments: