Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Short Review of the Korg Nanokey

I was able to borrow a Korg Nanokey from a DJ friend of mine for a gig. 

I have mixed feelings about this one as it really feels like a toy. I just like it coz it's so small. Other than that, I find nothing overly positive about it. 

The keys feel like rectangle pc computer keyboard keys! Seriously. I was SURPRISED to find out it was velocity sensitive but the computer keyboard feel makes it not as sensitive especially when I tried it with a nice piano patch. 

The controls are fine like octave up and down and there's a pitch up and down which I'm not sure if it serves as a bend. It also has a CC function which serves as an added functionality for the nanokey. If used as a CC trigger, the unit performs well and is decent for the money actually. For a small amount of money, you're provided with a 25 key controller and that's really bang for the buck!

To be fair though, seeing that this was made for portability, I believe it's awesome in that respect. For banging some notes live or triggering via control change, the NK is worth it. I could see myself rockin one o' these to save space and lessen the hassle of bringing the same 25 key controller which is 6x heavier and bigger than the NK. It indeed is a nano. 

I'm not sure if I'll ever get myself these Nano controllers. Maybe. Not now though. 

Cy


No comments: