Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Gear attachment

I've always been attached to my equipment at some degree. There's a certain sense of fulfillment and satisfaction once i got those dream machines of mine like my synths etc, that it's hard letting go of them. I know a lot of my friends from electronica manila share the same view. I lot of them even regret letting go of certain pieces of equipment. I don't want to be that hehe but i must say i experienced it once before when i sold my Roland JD800 synth. It was one of my most prized possessions but during that time, i had certain emergencies that i had to let it go. I regretted selling that. Now i'm wiser and even if some are gathering dust and never get to be played, let's say it's my little collection like those who collect model cars, figures, etc. On the other hand, i still of course let go of certain pieces like those i've upgraded. Take for example my Korg es1 sampler. I sold it once i got my mpc. I guess in a way you really outgrow some pieces but
all my hardware synths i'm keeping hehe i also sold one true analog synth, and traded my other analog synth for a bunch of guitar effects. Somehow i wasn't attached to those so it was easy for me.

It's just hard with the whole wave of software, that you can do away with hardware gear and go straight with software like in most of my productions that are done in Reason. I've read a lot of big name acts in europe and USA who actually sold all their hardware stacked in their studios and went for the minimalist software studio. BUT... The big thing about people stickin to their hardware is the difference in sound. Now don't get me wrong, i'm not a hardware purist... In fact, 'm far from it. With others though, they just can't replace the warmth, sound, and oomph of hardware that's why they often just scribble ideas in software then translate it into hardware. A few examples are The Prodigy and The Crystal Method. They work in reason then just translate sounds into their hardware units then sometimes back to reason just to make sure they're using their hardware and analog synths.

So i guess with the rise of software, there still are dedicated people out there who keep the hardware scene alive and as a hardware guy myself, it's really fun especially using it for live performances.

Til nxt tym.

Cy - silverfilter
www.silverfilter.com

No comments: