Friday, December 3, 2010

GASsing Down

GAS aka as Gear Acquisition Syndrome is that need for one to just buy and buy gear that they see even if they don't need it. 

I admit there are times I've experienced and gave in to it. I also have my GAS list in my head still... hmmm let me see what I can remember...

Guitars: Gibson Explorer, Fender Japan 62 RI strat, Fender reverse headstock strat. Once I have those, I don't mind getting an SG as a gift hehe

Synths: Nord Lead2X, Access Virus TI, Moog Voyager, and a whole lot more. This, I admit, are all serious GAS synths since I'm happy with just using Reason. I'm just in love with the idea of having those haha

Recording stuff: Neumann U87 and a high end preamp (2-3 would be nice)

I can go on and on but it'll miss the point of my post if I continue. 

Thing is, I've learned to suppress my GAS urges. Well, aside from not having the money to buy them, I've simply learned to live with what I have at the moment. 

This is one thing that I'd like to share with everyone out there...

There are people who tend to say, "if only I got this brand and this piece of equipment, I could do this and this..." Often times, they end up not doing anything because they never get to the place of owning those dream pieces. 

The key is to learn to live and work with what you have. Use that limitation to stretch your mind and you'll realize later on that it actually helps develop you more as an artist. 

Remember, sometimes knowing more can be bad for you coz in that search for knowledge, you tend to "think" you need particular pieces of equipment that may end up unattainable at the time of your "wanting." This leads to producing nothing and at the same time, leads you to disappointment because you achieved nothing. 

Don't let limitations get you down. 

I remember when I did my first EP. I was working with an ASUS Pentium 3 laptop, a cheap dynamic mic, and a Roland SP808. At the time, My computer wasn't up to spec in recording in realtime so I arranged my tunes in Propellerhead Reason, recorded my vocals in the 808 along with the fxs, then played back the recorded material on the 808 into the computer (with major lag and latency), then lined up the voice with the music visually later on. It was a tedious process but I got there because I had a goal in mind and I didn't let particular lack of experience especially gear, stop me from making the music that I wanted to create. Yes, if you listen to it, it may sound not as overly "pro" but I'd say passable. At the same time, I was able to release something at the time (2003) and say to myself I achieved something with that and made it a point to get something out there to the people. It was simple, but it was "something" for me. 

What do you have? Limitations can get you to places. All you have to do is work with it and try to make something out of nothing. You might just surprise yourself :)

Cy

Posted via email from silverfilter living

No comments: