Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Strats

My first strat was an RJ ventures strat copy, which is still with me now. Funny thing about it is, it wasn't mine before. It belonged to my younger sister, who got jealous of me and my older sister getting into music so she asked our parents for her own guitar and amp. Long story short, it was stuck under her bed so I got it instead (with parents permission of course) and she never bothered coz she never tried learning it anyway. This one's still with me for keepsake. I plan to place it as a design ornament for the studio.

My second strat was my first "Fender" which was a squier guitar. It was a really nice strat. I liked that a lot. It had a cherry burst finish. I had to sell it eventually to fund my eventual upgrade to a real Fender but I felt bad when I saw that the buyer stripped it off its paint. :( I remember it had some fret buzz in the lower frets hehe

My 3rd strat is still with me. It was my very first American strat. I love it. I got it used but it is one of my most treasured guitars for sound and more so for sentimental reasons. It's a '96 (I forgot) Fender 40th anniv strat plus with Lace Sensor pickups. When I got this, I was fairly a noob when it came to guitar knowledge so what sold me aside from it being an MIA guitar was the fact that it had those gold Lace Sensor pickups coz I knew Clapton used them before in his signature strat. It has its own sound. Very clean. It's also one reason why it's my main guitar whenever I need to record stuff for work and for my own personal projects coz I don't have to deal with the hum/buzzing/grounded sound typical of strats while recording. It's the sunburst strat in the picture.

My 4th strat was a 1983 Fender US. That was really something. I hate to admit it (cuz I sold it) but it sounded really good even having it's own sound that I can't get from the strats I have now unfortunately. I just didn't like that it had 2 knobs only coz it was one of those Fender models during their cost cutting days. And I hated the bridge of that thing. hehe

My 5th strat is my favorite. It's a John Mayer signature series. I got it in Shoreline Gold having that maroon stripe. This is the guitar he used in his Bigger Than My Body music video. Being a fan, I just HAD to get one. And fanboy aside, this strat has serious tone to it coz of the exclusive big dipper pickups. I actually love the feel of the whole thing and since I'm a fan of the 62 reissue look and I go more for the old look of Fenders from the tuning pegs and the bridge, I love this particular strat for that. Even now, when I look for other potential buys, I always look for the older look than the modern bridges and pegs. I wish I had more money to buy the other colors of this strat but that's just me hehe

My 6th strat is still to come. I'm hoping to come across a nice Japanese strat. Unfortunately, I still don't have the money for it because it's not my priority at the moment. 

Why I love strats? I don't know specifically. I guess it's because we all grew up associating electric guitars with the strat shape. But for more obvious reasons, I love strats coz of its sound. I just love the versatility and the tone I get from it. I have used and owned Teles and Les Pauls but I ALWAYS ALWAYS go back to the stratocaster.

Leo Fender is a hero to me.

Cy

Posted via email from silverfilter living

No comments: