Saturday, November 20, 2010

No Encore for Encore...

There was a fund raising gig last night at Encore and I was asked if I could play and support it. Of course I said yes. Anything to do what I do in support of a worthwhile cause. It was for the kids of Gawad Kalinga for their annual excursion. 

Anyway, I stayed up till 9am yesterday ironing out my set and settings on my live set using Maschine together with my APC controller...

fast forward...

3/4ths of the way to the venue, I realized that I LEFT my Maschine controller at home while rushing to leave for the gig. I know it's stupid but those things happen. The moment I realized it, my mind was floating already... regret, anger, waste, a lot of things went circling in my head to be honest. I wanted to go home and get it but I didn't have enough time to do so. I felt that it was such a waste preparing the set just to NOT be able to play it that night because I didn't have my controller. 

So there I was. Setting up with just the APC. With this, I had to resort to some of my older sets when I only had the APC. It's OK but of course, I would've wanted to play something fresh. 

Started my set and since it was an EARLY event, of course I watched the people pour into the venue. Not like you get there and the place is rocking already. Unfortunately, as expected, the crowd wasn't as much open to live PA and to my style. Ironically, I was totally having fun during the first 30 mins and was doing the live bit pretty well until some women came up to me and asked for some songs. Don't get me wrong, I do get that often since people often mistake Live PA as DJing. The thing that threw me off (once again) was that DESPITE playing tech-house stuff, the girl suddenly tells me, "can you play something that we can 'dance' to?" As if you couldn't dance to house. It really threw me off. After that I kinda was floating and it somehow ruined my so-called "mojo" hehe took me another 10 minutes to get my groove back.

But then again, I had fun despite the experience since it felt good bringing that type of sound to Encore even for a short bit.

Cy

Posted via email from silverfilter living

No comments: