Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Essential Studio Microphones

I've recently changed some priorities having become an actual studio owner. One thing that shifted was my need to get more microphones that could address various recording needs for the studio. At the end of the day however, budget is the question and since I don't have much to spare after paying off my studio renovation and all, I had to research and get the best value for money mics out there. Without further ado, here's my list. I'll also be including some wish lists for the future :)

This is by no means "THE" list. I just came up with this list from experience and doing some research on getting the most out of your money to avail of a decent collection for your studio without breaking the bank :)

ESSENTIAL STUDIO MICROPHONES

1. Shure SM58

[[posterous-content:pid___0]]

If you have to ask what this is, then you may have been living under a rock. The SM58 has been THE mic of choice for most live performers. However for budget conscious people, this can also be a nice demo recording mic. It's a dynamic mic and the wind shield does its job nicely if all you have in your setup is a mic without any pop shield. It can sound quite muffled when you compare it to condensers and more expensive mics but for live, the 58 can't be beat. It's practically a staple of most sound system providers and home studios. 

Additional: If you're looking to link up your mic and all you have is a laptop computer, you can grab the Shure X2U XLR to USB adaptor freeing you of needing to buy yourself a soundcard to link your mic to. Very handy. In a shootout that I read, it also came up on top with its wealth of features and it's clean signal.

Personal Note: I was looking around for a spare mic other than the SM58 just recently and the Samson Q7 was suggested to me by the salesman and he let me A/B it against the Shure and I am happy to say, that the Samson sounds even better for me and at more than half the price cheaper than the SM58!!!!

2. Shure SM57

[[posterous-content:pid___8]]

Another one for the books is the legendary SM57. This however lends itself more to micing instrument amps. Yes. If you've ever been to any concert, you may have seen this little wonder in front of a guitar amp proudly receiving the nice tones out of the speakers and out into the sound system. I've read that the 57 is basically a 58 without its windscreen but I guess that's up for debate in other forums. The 57 also CAN and will do vocal recordings as I've read a lot of vocal recordings have been done using just the 57... and mind you, even some artists you may have a CD of have recorded vocals using a 57 so don't dismiss this too early as this is one of the cheapest of the lot as well!

3. Shure SM7B

[[posterous-content:pid___2]]Designed primarily to be a broadcast mic, the SM7B proudly holds its own these days as a vocal mic. Its design as that of a mic that's made to reject wind/external noise makes it an ideal mic for home studios that may not have proper recording booths. Some big name artists have also opted to go for this relatively affordable mic for their albums. I've read even Metallica used it for one of their recent releases. 

4. MXL V67G

[[posterous-content:pid___3]]I was surprised about this one. In my search for additional mics to get on a budget, this always came up and at a price that's gonna make you smile as well! I don't have any experience yet with this mic as I am still about to order it but from the reviews I've read, it's a worthy addition to your collection as it's something you can buy without having to sell other stuff. Just add it to your mic cabinet!

5. Audio Technica AT4033a

[[posterous-content:pid___4]]This is the 1st mic I have ever bought. Fortunately, it's one of those studio staples. It's an old mic but it has proved itself worthy of being in most studios as a real workhorse. These days, you can get one of these cheap and you'll be saving a lot of money by doing so :)

6. Rode K2

[[posterous-content:pid___5]]This is a valve mic and like what most consider when using valves in recording, there's a certain warmth and nice grit to recordings passing thru tubes. I included this because it came up in some of the articles I read for value for money considering it's a valve mic. So this one's on my wish list as well.

Of course, also consider the tons of alternatives out there but the main thing to consider here is there's always room for a valve mic in your arsenal. Always.

7. Neumann TLM103

[[posterous-content:pid___6]]This is another one on my wish list. I guess we can put this at the mid priced microphones in the list as this retails for $1100 but the beauty of this is that for people aiming for a U87, this can be a comfortable "settlement" until you can get the real thing. The capsule of this is also taken from the U87 but a lot of people either love it or hate it. I've read a lot of people find the mic too bright but I guess coupled with a warm mic preamp, this can do wonders. I'm all for value for money here so I really won't be talking about getting more expensive mics instead. Remember, the equipment is part of the equation but the talent is the large chunk of it. If I needed proof that this mic delivers, knowing that Imogen Heap used it to record her album is enough proof for me. Just listen to the result! :)

8. Neumann U87

[[posterous-content:pid___7]]

The ultimate in the wish list and the daddy of all studio mics. The Neumann U87 is the mainstay of almost all studios and I guess will always stay that way. Retailing at $3,500 It's no wonder it can deliver. Perhaps this is one of those you get what you pay for but seeing that the U87 has always been mentioned in interviews, and of course, used for countless recordings, this mic definitely is THE essential mic to have in your studio.

 

So there we go, the little list of things for you to look into and research. I also arranged this list by cost so you can at least know which ones to prioritize first depending on your budget. 

The thing with mics is, there's one that will fit a particular recording need so it helps to have a small mic collection to achieve the best results in your recordings may it be a male vocal, a female backup, or a rockin tube amp.

Enjoy the search!

Cy

Posted via email from silverfilter living

No comments: