Saturday, November 6, 2010

New Synth... Do I Want One?

If you haven't heard, Novation's back with a brand new synth after focusing on controllers for quite a few years. 

I came across this nice little write up in a magazine featuring the Novation UItra Nova. I was hooked on reading up on it. 

For full details, visit the link http://www.novationmusic.com/ultranova/

I haven't tried anything yet but it got me thinking if I really want another synth. For sure it sounds promising seeing Novation's been at the synth game for a long time already and I'm sure there's something up the Ultra Nova's sleeve. However, as an owner of an X-Station, do I really need another Novation synth? I asked myself and came up with a "no." It's really not my priority at the moment to get another synth. The only reason I'm attracted to the Ultra is because the X Station didn't have a vocoder so I guess that's not enough reason for me to go splurge on one. Don't get me wrong, it's an interesting synth and with great features on offer! I just don't think i'm into synths these days that much for me to justify getting one. Besides, a new synth is way down in my priority list already since i'm working on building up my recording chain in the studio so I have to save up for more mics and a nice preamp. But! If I had money to spare, why not get one, right? I just watched the demo video and as a performance synth, it looks promising especially with the touch-sensitive controller knobs. The synth is actually close to an X Station wherein it's a synth an audio interface but the downside of the Ultra in my opinion is the lack of tactile controls, which are spread all across the face of the X.

Don't take my word for it though especially since I don't own one! The synth looks and sounds great and the feature set seems promising. It's just not for me though priority-wise but if I were given one, I'd gladly accept it with a smile!

Cy

Posted via email from silverfilter living

No comments: