Tuesday, December 18, 2012

A Time To Be Thankful

I am glad that this Christmas season, when I look around to think of what I want for Christmas, I can say that I have a hard time thinking of what to ask for because God has given me the things that I need to live, work, and function properly. Ultimately though, I thank God for the spirit of contentment that rests in me, that I am happy with what I have and I can make do with what I have. 

Before I leave that thought, I just wanted to clarify that it doesn't mean that I don't have dreams for a better life. God puts the dreams in our minds of course and He will equip you to reach for that step by step but again, with a spirit of contentment and patience, that while you don't have it yet, you don't feel that you are at a disadvantage because you haven't reached it. 

As I look back on how I started, I can't help but just thank God for where I am today. He has really proven himself faithful countless times in my life ever since I focused on music. He has generously provided me with more than enough and not just my needs but also some of my wants. This is not to say that I have everything and everything that I ever wanted. But I'm the type of person who can live with what I have and be content with it until such time that it stops working or gets damaged, etc. You get the picture I'm sure. I'm really not the type who keeps on letting go of stuff while searching for an elusive "the one" for any particular item. I usually just set my sights to something and then I go for it and once I have it, I'm a happy man. I don't think much of always upgrading to the next "better" thing. I think partly this is also due to how I grew up not always having the best things in life but just enough to get me by. This in turn also helped me to live a no-excuses kind of life. If I had to do or get something, I tried to find and make ways. I rarely found myself having to make an excuse that I "can't" because I "don't have." There are a some people who have difficulty moving forward in life because they always have an excuse for everything when all they had to do was be thankful for their little blessings, that they usually brush aside just because they always think that they can only be the best they can be if they have the best.

What are the things that you should be thankful for? Look around you and take time to think about even the small things that seem mundane. Remember that as simple as those things are, you have those because God made a way for you to be able to afford or enjoy those things. Remember that a lot of other people have it really bad especially with the recent storm that hit Davao. Be thankful and spend time to pray for our brothers and sisters who were affected by the storm.

Lastly... do you know how being content can also help others? Well, once you are, you'll be able to see the bigger picture and be a blessing to others because you yourself have been blessed. Instead of buying that expensive watch, you can set aside some money to give to charity, etc. Again, you may not have your dream house yet... but you have a house. You may not have a car yet... but you always have money for the daily commute. You may be eating the 50 peso mcdo meal but you're eating in Mcdo... etc. Count your blessings.

There really are so many things to be thankful for so as you finish this entry of mine, take the time to look around and thank God for being faithful and loving to you as He always makes sure that your needs are always met. 

Be a blessing to others this Christmas!

God bless!

Cy

Posted via email from silverfilter living

No comments: