Friday, January 13, 2012

Gear Lust When Do We Stop?

Media_httpwwwcikiraco_hiafd

This photo came from this link which I suggest you go check out to see how much gear there really is. I never bothered to read everything...

http://www.cikira.com/gear/

So!

I actually saw the link shared in one of the forums I frequent and unfortunately, as many as there were positive comments about the gear, there were equally negative ones and most were about saying all those gear over all these years but never a release from her. I even went to look for a music link on the site just to give her the benefit of the doubt but I didn't have any luck...

The reactions actually made me think about how some musicians can fall into that gear buying trap or gear collecting trap and we get consumed by it we never really produce any output.

But who am I to judge right? I mean some people LOVE to collect and maybe she's one of them and doesn't really focus on making and releasing music. I may feel that it's a waste but I don't see anything wrong if she's a collector more than a musician.

But back to my first thought, I mean we can get consumed by finding out about new gear, researching about the next big thing, or whatever when all we needed were a few basic things to create a really nice piece of music. Some people may think that having this or that or whatever instrument will help make them a better musician but if we all take step back, we'll realize that we can really STILL create something nice with the basics.

So before you splurge on the next new thing in the stores or whatever you saw online, think about how much you need it and will it add to your music-making or is it just a WANT really?

Personally, I'd love to buy a nice Nord or Access Virus but with the way I make music which is all in the box, I hardly even use my other synths so spending to get another nice synth might just be a waste of my money.

And lastly, I believe that if you get all the distractions out and just focus on the music, you will not just save money but also enjoy the process and actually FINISH something than get lost in the maze of gear releases and saving money to buy something that'll eventually gather dust... just like a lot of my synths :)

Posted via email from silverfilter living

No comments: