Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Embrace Your Limitation

This is sharing from being on the other side. Depending on who's reading this, we may be on the same side even! I hope some of you reading this may pick up or realize a thing or two. 

Sometimes we can be frustrated with limitations. I know I am one of them.

As an electronic artist, one of the frustrations I feel is drum programming. Now for people who know me from way back, you may wonder, "how?!" when I'm primarily a drummer right?

Real drum programming, I can work with that. I can make drums that can sound like it was played like a real drummer because I understand the details. But when it comes to more IDM stuff, I envy artists who have no background in being a real drummer. This is where my point is driving on how one should embrace that limitation. 

Some friends and producers I know and listen to aren't drummers or musicians and it is to their benefit somehow that they don't have that background because they don't have that mind set and discipline on how things should sound. 

Just imagining the drum programming of some IDM artists really flips out my mind in a good way and in all manners of drumming, it really isn't the way drums are programmed traditionally, but because of imagination and that "freedom" of not having that background and discipline, it creates something new. That particular "limitation" is what makes them stand out. It is what creates new styles and sounds. 

Embrace your limitations and see where it can take you :)

Cy

Posted via email from silverfilter living

No comments: